Thursday, July 10, 2014

Five Things I Have Learned From Other Bloggers


1. From Esther Emery: Ambition is a GOOD word. Just because I’m a mom doesn’t mean I don’t get to live and work on my dreams, too. It’s costly, risky, but worth it to remain true to my desires and reach for the things I want to do in life. I don’t have to wait until my kids are grown, or for any other number of factors to fall in place. I can do a little bit each day. And even when it’s hard, I can draw from that deep source of strength and hope, whom I like to call Spirit, and do it anyway.

2. From Marvia Davidson: A positive word is far more powerful than any number of negatives, and is much more likely to gain our desired results. I steer clear of the brands for the brands’ sake, the shaming and blaming, or the militant need to be right, and focus instead on the messages of hope, grace, and freedom. Does that mean I don’t believe in bringing strong words in favor of a cause? No. It means I believe in creating space for differences, as long as there is mutual respect. (I have zero tolerance forever toward bullying.) But what I have learned from Marvia is that encouragement IS a superpower, and it gets the job done well and beautifully. It builds up, in the truest sense. I always walk a little taller after reading her words.

3. From Elora Ramirez: I matter just as much as everyone else, and so do my words. Elora is the first person who really drove that home to me. She told me to look myself in the mirror and call myself GOOD at what I do, and it was then the magic switch came on and I began to truly believe it. She taught me how to SEE my self. Literally and literarily. (Ahem. A girl just wants to have fun sometimes.)

4. From Trina Holden: Why yes, I CAN call myself a writer. My mom introduced me to Trina’s blog a few years back and one of the first things I read was the affirmation that if I write and I am serious about writing then I get to call myself a writer. I can’t find the original post I read, but I did locate her encouraging e-book on how to find fulfillment in blogging in spite of your stats. Which was another great thing I learned from her.

5. From John Blase: The best kind of poet is an authentic poet. From the mundane to the daydream, all writing topics are sacred when they come from the heart. Take some time today to read some of his poetry- I can’t imagine you regretting it.


I wrote the first five things that came to mind. I know of so many more bloggers with amazing words to share and I wish I had time to highlight them all now. There is a lot of goodness in the blogosphere- people dedicated to their craft and their creativity without compromise. These are the kind of writers I am drawn to. Honest. Authentic. Non-competitive with each other. It’s a refreshing taste of the beauty of the human spirit awake, alive, and open to possibilities. I am privileged to listen and learn from these great people.

This post is part of a 40 Days of Blogging challenge hosted by Story Sessions Community.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this! I look forward to checking out some of these blogs you mentioned!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I love helping make new connections! Thanks for reading. <3

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.