Thursday, May 8, 2014

Behind the Scenes

I did not mean to let more than two weeks go by without blogging. Such is the nature of my life right now. No blinking allowed.

So let me give you a peek into some of the things I've been working on.

The first order of business: I am guest posting today over at Claire De Boer's website, thegiftofwriting.com. For those who have been with this blog from the beginning, I flash back to the reason I began this blog in the first place, to write out the story of my heart and the way it affected my third pregnancy. I would love to have you head over to read it. :)

Back to behind-the-scenes.

In January, I began taking a writing course called Story 201. It was my intention to work on the novel I had written in November and make it into a final manuscript. I made some progress on that project but I did not finish it. During the course, I was introduced to the concept of "Praying The Hours" and it launched me on a book of poetry project that became all-consuming. I now refer to it as my Book of Hours (and hours and hours...) Let me tell you, taking the DIY route to publication is not a picnic. However, I hope to have a PDF available soon and I'm really dying to get this book onto Amazon Kindle. There's a steep learning curve and I'm not quite around the bend yet, but I will get there. Stay tuned, because my friends Jamie Bonilla and Esther Emery are contributors and you won't want to miss the beauty of their words. My launch date should be June 1st, if all goes well. Hold me.

Here is my cover design. What do you think? I'm excited:



Next up, I have been taking another online course called Finding Your Arc. This one is specific training for coaching e-courses or story coaching in the Story Sessions Community. I think I have found my niche here. I love to facilitate growth and this brings me so much joy. So far, I have had the opportunity to lead a write-in, which is a gathering from the Story Sessions Community to write and share our words together over an internet call. I have seen some magic happen here. I have turned out more than one fresh blog post this way and several poems. This coaching training is my cup of tea and I can't wait to see where this budding community goes. (So far, five of our writers are VOTY for BlogHer. That is a big deal, and I am so proud of them and the many more who submitted their work.) I love this season that I'm in, fresh springtime growth and lots of social sunshine; words cascading from a world of inspiration and mutual support. It's a thing of beauty.

Spring brings the heavy rains, too, though. Physically I have been dealing with massive joint and muscle pain, and more than a few headaches. Perhaps it merely means I do too much sitting or I don't sleep enough. Whatever the case, I am taking YET ANOTHER class, but this one is designed to create synergy between finances, wellness, and diet, which is something I need badly.

Finally, we have been faithfully home-educating (almost done!) throughout this process, so as you can imagine, I am getting little sleep. However, this is a very fulfilling time for me and I am excited to see where life takes me. I'm sure I have a lot of other news but I literally have a child hanging on me right now so I'm going to wrap things up for today. Please do stop by my guest post, and if you are the praying type, I am asking for your intercession as I finish up my book. Oh, and there may be a new website and blog in the near future, if I can get my head on straight, so be on the lookout for that. Gosh, I might be a little bit out of my mind (or heading that way.) Thanks for sticking with me. May you be blessed on your journey through the day.

4 comments:

  1. Jamie... i just read your posting "How Writing Gave Me My Life Back" on Claire's site. You are an extraordinary writer. I connected deeply with your story and the gift writing is for you. Your story opened a BIG door that was closed in my life. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Deborah. I'm glad to hear it. I pray many blessings on that opened door. Step through it and pursue that tug on your heart. It is so important. I am excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! Awesome! Awesome! Awesome! Except for the health issues. :( So excited for you. <3

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.