Saturday, March 15, 2014

Mystery Mail Changes Everything

Mystery Mail ;)
(Tell me your secret identity so I can brag about you.)


What would you do differently if you knew nobody would judge you?*

This question came as a surprise to me. I mean, who would even ask such a question? I can't even imagine a life without all of us people judging other people. Often. And vocally. I said as much to some Story Sessions friends at a recent write-in. Why can't I even imagine that world?

Here is what I wrote:


"Someone convince me.

Someone please tell me that life will not always be

the courtroom it exists as today.


35 years is a long, long time to carry this heaviness.

It is a terribly long time to censor my words so I can use

my emotional energy for breathing life into the world,

instead of defending myself against flying debris of sharp corrections.


Judgment causes death.


Every

single

time.


Each time the sentence is passed

that I have not been smart enough,

well-behaved enough,

pretty enough,

outraged at the latest issue enough,

(you-name-it)

not-enough,

something that once fluttered alive inside me dies.

I slowly disintegrate into a pile of sticks and stones

that will one day become

my barrow."


Well, I have changed my mind a little since then. It only took one very powerful letter (see above). One piece of mystery mail has planted a seed of hope in my imagination, and I'm thinking maybe, just maybe, the world will not always feel like a courtroom. Thanks, mystery mailer. I know you know I know who you are. Much love!

*Prompt attributed to story coach Sarah McCarten.

2 comments:

  1. There may be a mystery mailer on the loose but those are your words...She was just singing them back to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love her voice and I love when she sings. xo

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.