Sunday, March 2, 2014

A Blessing for My Son


Son,
You make me smile.
I see you dreaming,
laughing in your sleep- look at you!
Curled up by my side,
eyes closed but I see them still;
I know them well into their depths. 
Each time as a baby you gazed up 
from your perch in my arms
trusting, finding nourishment,
I took a photo with my heart, knowing you would not
be small for very long.


I see those eyes always,
brown and sparkling
full of joyful mischief, sweet
and unshaken by the gravity of being
present to the earth.
Here is your glory: the peace of trust.
Here the worst is a bath or a nap.
Your fear is only in the world of pretend,
(except for strange dogs, but I will protect you.)
When you find me in the dark,
wanting to be held against the cold or confusion,
your soft baby palm brushing against my arm-


I will welcome you, wishing
to linger in the holiness of this midnight moment.
Your limbs thrash to create space you believe
will always be there for you, certain
you will always fit between the love of your parents.
Heart of my heart and soul, unblemished,
you skip when awake 
because walking is for the weary
and you are barely more than born.
My growing baby, not so babylike anymore,
my precious, smiling
son: 


God bless you. God keep you. God carry you.


Love, 


Mommy






Published in celebration of Cameron's 3rd birthday.

7 comments:

  1. Oh, Jamie, this is so precious! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, he is your adorable grandson, after all. He had a good day. Loved his gifts and didn't mind the simplicity of our celebration. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Juliet. Bless your own mama heart. You know how hard this is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So precious! I love your heart :)
    I used to think every age was the "best" - and even now that my baby is 26, it's still the "best". I love your mother's blessing - your son is blessed to have you as his mom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Susan. I'm glad you can see every age as the best. I struggled a lot with ages 4-5 with my first two so I have trouble looking forward to it. I need to see the challenges through new eyes where we are a team working through things together instead of me being the eye-rolling supervisor. It's hard work. I think I need to write some more blessings. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just wrote about my granddaughter when she turned 3 and fell in love with flowers. It is the age when they fall in love with the world if they are loved, as your son is. Bless him and bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The age they fall in love with the world. Oh, I love that. These are special moments, not to be missed. Thanks for sharing. Blessings to you, as well.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.