Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Monk, Artist, Mystic

 
I am going to start living like a monk*


I trust the energy will meet me in the middle


I trust I will find the silence


I will live with ears open


I will discover the scent of spirituality


I will taste the flavors of many colors and live not upon bread alone


I will seek to feel the wind on my skin, especially my face, so I am forced to see without my eyes and the specks that fill them


I will look for beauty in hidden places, in hopeless places, in shocking places


My voice will tremble. My voice will echo. My voice will fill into full sound capacity- and maybe a bit more


I am going to start living like an artist

I am going to paint

I will use my colors as well as my words. Sometimes instead

I am going to write the questions


I will sing the questions


I will paint the questions with my entire vocabulary


I will listen. This, too, is art


I will poke in dusty corners and precarious piles, because I am curious. Some call it nosy. I will paint that somehow, too


I will look intently at one beautiful thing every day. I will do this until it becomes involuntary


I will gaze at the night and day sky as it whispers the secrets of next


I will continue to live like a mystic, because I am an asker of questions. A dreamer of dreams. A faithful doubter.


I will live into my prophetic calling

As the Spirit breathes, so shall I move. In love, my soul shall rest


*This was a Poetry Writing Exploration assignment from The Artist's Rule by Christine Valters Paintner. We are covering the material in Story 201.

7 comments:

  1. this really speaks to me. thank you .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, friend. The book "The Artist's Rule" has been good for digging deep. I highly recommend it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are beautiful, inside and out. You are a prophet, and a mystic, and you are powerful because you will not stop moving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is quite the to-do list, girl. You better get cracking! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Grace. It's good to know you always have my back. Even when I say scary words out loud. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Right? It's like I'm trying to steal your word or somethin'. ;) I probably should have qualified with a line like, "I will not do every one of these things every day because I believe in sabbath." <3 I love you. And that book you gave me! Thank you so much. The dawn of enough is beginning to glimmer. (It's nice to know it doesn't always bite.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amen... your poem is like a prayer, a prayer I breathed with you while reading your words!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.