Thursday, January 23, 2014

A Creative's Opening Prayer


This was an assignment from The Artist's Rule by Christine Valters Paintner. I highly recommend the book for those who love to weave together art and faith.




A Creative's Opening Prayer
  
Bless the unused spaces 




with the promise of fullness,

Or the comfort that the emptiness                        




is a thing of beauty

And not to be feared.


Bless the time it takes to fill---

or to wait.



Bless the heart that cries for understanding

aches for inspiration

that thinks it is all on her.



Bless my airways, 

may they move steady in rhythm

Remind me not to hold my breath-



and may i not waste it to spite the human race.


The skin falls away into dust.
The anger burns away into ash.
The noise becomes a swishing kind of silence.



Bless this whole process, 

most especially the parts I’m not proud of and don’t want others to see-

The parts that are vile and unkind. 


May their diehard spirits 

make some damn good fertilizer for the seeds of hope 

whose planting I pray 

you will also bless with the water of life 

as I tenderly coax


their becoming.


Listen to the author read here.

3 comments:

  1. Brittany WilliamsonJanuary 26, 2014 at 7:56 PM

    So lovely, as your words always are. Love to you, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Brittany. Love to you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Melinda. I love this book we are using so much. It's so full of goodness.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.