Friday, October 4, 2013

FMF Write: Showing Up

Linking up with Lisa-Jo Baker's Five Minute Friday.

Write.

It’s the last thing I want to do today.


I do not know if it’s burnout or badly out of practice or a phase where I need rest.


I turn to poetry, in those cases.


I can leave my thoughts in abstract, but still somehow express what I need to express. Even if it is utter and complete nonsense to anyone but myself.


I’m out of rhythm
I ran out of rhythm?
I fell out of rhythm?
Time drafted me into a swirling loop
And deposited me breathless in the sinking sand.
Tick, tick, tick, tick.
Panic?


So much crying without reason
Though not without meaning.
Tears drip and drop
Leaving dark patches on blue jeans.
They are not even mine,
But they should be,
Truly.


She needs me; he wants me.
They call, tug, chatter, plead.
I know they want connection.
Someone laying groundwork
Of worth and acceptance.
No one outgrows that,
Do they?


Humid when it should be cool.
Empty when I should be full.
The moon might even give up on me.
And I have no time to tell you what that means.
Every night a restless watch
Each morning a longing, a longing for ____?
Sabbath.

6 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness!! How I have these "empty" kinda days too! Thank you for sharing your thoughts. And I loved your poem... I totally "got" your poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, thank goodness. To not be alone and to not be crazy, (or to not be crazy alone?) means a lot. Thank you for your encouragement. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful poem! I love your writing style. Thanks for sharing.
    Stopping by from Five Minute Friday. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much! I love FMF. What a wonderful, welcoming community. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful as always! It is definitely not nonsense!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.