Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Life Happenings: July

Linking up with Leigh Kramer's "What I'm Into" series.

The month of July flew by.

Family Fun:
My "baby" sister and her family visited us for the first week. We enjoyed a lot of outings, including a visit to the Field Museum in Chicago and some authentic Chinese food at Lao Zhe Chuan (or as Google interpreted my voice: "Love is a swan." Josh and I will probably call it that from now on.) Sadly, most of the good pictures were taken by my sister and departed with her. I managed to snap a few at our favorite Panera.




Oh, and my boys each got their very first pair of flip-flops. Which they LOVE. The photo on the bottom is the dads geeking out. Which pretty much describes them for most of the visit. ;)




Music:
My sister introduced me to Grace and Tony. Eclectic, but... I like it! I would love to get their debut album but I guess for now it just goes on the wish list.

Entertainment:
I watched the entire Catherine Tate Show on Netflix. It's highly amusing but just a wee bit profane. Here's a harmless clip, though, that was probably my absolute favorite of the whole show: New Baby.

I brooded over the Merlin series ending for weeks. This is not to say I didn't love the show. Especially the adorable Colin Morgan.

The Avengers was a great story, but wasted a lot of time in the fight scenes. I somehow missed Thor, so we watched that, too. How does one miss Chris Hemsworth and Natalie Portman AND Anthony Hopkins all in one movie? It's gotta be tired mom doldrums.

If you want an original story in CG, check out A Monster in Paris. It is dubbed, of course, but being animation, it wasn't hard for them to do it well. It is weird, I warn you, but I really liked it. I sat through the whole movie and the last time I sat through a whole animated movie was for Brave and I was just being polite then.

Books: It has been really hard for me to settle into much reading lately. I read When Women Were Birds by Terry Tempest Williams, The War of Art by Steven Pressfield, and Journal of a Solitude by May Sarton. I have a LOT of other books started.

Other:
Grace got me back into doing T-Tapp. I have gone down a pants size in 3 weeks, so that's a bit thrilling. I might fit into all my shorts again by the end of summer. (Y'know, the ones I bought in May that fit me then. Oops. #CarbAddict )

I think I've pulled together enough lesson plans to start 2nd grade with Kaitlin next week. Wish us luck! And fun! :)

6 comments:

  1. I'm sad that there are no pics of you and I together. I thought I had one on my phone but I don't. :/ That week was definitely the highlight of my summer so far :-D Love you dear sissy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was the highlight of mine, too. And I remember we talked about taking a picture when we were at that playground behind the library in Downers Grove and then we got distracted. #momlife
    It's ok, though. I took plenty of memory pictures. We'll have to be more intentional in Sept. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you like Thor? He was my least favorite character in the Avengers (and I too, missed the Thor movie--intentionally, I think, unlike my husband who did see it). I didn't feel compelled to watch it after the Avengers either. Was I wrong? Did I totally miss out? (and yes--I love superhero/comic movies....)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think watching Thor was essential in understanding the back story to The Avengers. I didn't really understand the driving force behind Loki's actions until Thor put the pieces into place for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you had a nice time with your sister! I've never heard of T-Tapp before. Glad it's working for you!

    Thanks for linking up with What I'm Into!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your What I'm Into series! You rock!
    T-Tapp is a great workout because it is no impact so I don't have to worry about my heart racing. Also, it doesn't get too easy. No matter how good you get at it, it still kicks your butt. (In a good way.) :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.