Sunday, June 30, 2013

What June Has Been Like

Linking up this post with Leigh Kramer's "What I'm Into" blog series.

June has been hard. Not the hardest in my life. I'll never forget that year I had poison ivy all over my legs and then went to volunteer for a JAF family retreat. (Did you know sweating a lot makes it spread?)

[Speaking of family retreat: if you're ever wondering about doing a short term mission for the summer, this is a great ministry opportunity that is close-to-home. It also costs a lot less than foreign travel and the need is just as great. Families with disabled members come for a needed respite, and volunteers get to team up and help fill that need. Think about it.]

Anyway, so this June started out terrific and I had lots of plans for spending long days outdoors with the children.

Then I got bronchitis which took a very nasty turn that needed a prescription drug to knock out. (And if you know me, you know those are a very, very, very last, final resort. And I was "there.") I am recovering and look forward to the night I can finally not have to sleep sitting up. :)

Also, it rained. A lot. Big storms. Power outs. False fire alarms (five! O__o)We've been doing a lot of library and Netflix entertainment.

Netflix
I am currently in season 11 (of 12) of Murder, She Wrote. And still loving it. Isn't Angela Lansbury a genius?! (She's come a long way from Velvet's older sister, or the petty "if he dies? you die!" princess in The Court Jester. Who doesn't love that movie?!)
The Hunchback of Notre Dame (Disney) just got added. And let me tell you; I love that movie! It's raw and a bit dark but oh, so truth-telling. It always gives me chills and makes me cry when Quasimodo holds the unconscious Esmeralda up on the roof and cries "Sanctuary! Sanctuary!" Every. Time. Plus, I have good memories of watching it for the first time at a best friend's sleepover. (We were 18, watched way too many movies, ate way too much junk food and drank a whole 2 liters of Mountain Dew. No sleep happened. But I did lock myself in the bathroom for half an hour by accident. And did not have enough agency to shout for help. I just sat there like a duffer until I was missed. Good times. I know, I'm rambling.)
Mulan! My other very favorite Disney animated movie.

Library
Madagascar 3 is probably the most bizarre but funny/entertaining movie I have seen in a while.
The Princes Diaries because it has been way too long. And Anne Hathaway is wonderful. I'm pretty sure she paved the way for public ugly crying to be acceptable. Love her!

Speaking of ugly cry, we said goodbye to a couple of church families who are relocating long distance. It was an emotional morning. Pray for their transition and provision for details. Uprooting is hard! I know, because my roots are still raw and aching and having a hard time pushing down through the new topsoil. (It's been 7 years, just about. Yikes!)

Books
Of the ones I posted last month that I said I wanted to read, I finished four of them. Not such a great record but any reading is better than none at all. Plus, I read some of plenty other books, just haven't finished them yet. This next month, I'm trying out The White Witch by Elizabeth Goudge, and rereading a Miss Read book, Summer at Fairacre.

Food
This is my new favorite. A single serve blender. Easy smoothies any/every day and no-fuss clean up. It's Hamilton Beach and you can get it on Amazon.com:

Fun
In other news, the grandparents were over from Africa for a short visit. (Very short.) We spent a wonderful day at the Brookfield Zoo. Lots of walking, talking, soaking up the sun. And plenty of treats. Because true to the stereotype, the Bagley grands do love to spoil. (In a good way!) We already miss them.
Hope you all had a wonderful month. Lots of blessings and happy summer!

5 comments:

  1. As soon as I read your post I added Hunchback of Notre Dame to my queue on Netflix. The last time I saw it was when it came out in theaters...my grandma took me when I was about 5. I was terrified then, but I've always wanted to see it again. Thanks for mentioning it!


    Also, bronchitis is no fun...I hope you continue to heal quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! I was giddy excited about the movie being on Netflix. It is so good!
    Thanks for the well wishes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE Brookfield Zoo! So many good memories there. I've fallen behind on Elizabeth Goudge's books. I'll have to see what the library has of her work!


    Thanks for linking up with What I'm Into!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait. Elizabeth or Eileen? Whatever. I know who you're talking about. I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elizabeth. Author of "The Dean's Watch" and "Gentian Hill" etc. There is an Eileen, too. I don't know of her work but if she's who you meant I will have to check her out. (My books preferences rarely make it into the 21st century.) :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.