Friday, May 31, 2013

What I'm Into- May edition

I like doing fun and light-hearted things on Fridays. For the last couple of months I have been meaning to do a "what I'm into" post and link-up with the lovely Leigh Kramer, who hosts a synchro-blog every month just to share our current likes. In the past, I couldn't get it together in time. It's like "Oh, time to tell people about myself? Uh oh, my mind just went blank!" So this one is making up for lost time. Bear with me!

Some new blog discoveries:
I love poetry, so The Beautiful Due more than makes the cut.
Brian Zahnd, especially this post.
D. L. Mayfield, especially her posts on downward mobility. (Though I'm still not comfortable with the actual term, I love the spirit behind it.)
There are many more blogs I'd like to highlight, but I'll spread them out over future posts. It kind of needs a post in itself. Lol!

Books:
Have read: Colossians Remixed: Subverting the Empire by Brian J. Walsh and Sylvia C. Keesmaat. You can read my reflection here.

Am reading: The Circle Maker by Mark Batterson.
I am having a really hard time with this one. It's like the petit fours of Christianese cliches, out-of-context Bible verses, prosperity gospel anecdotes, and chock full of superstition. The author raises an early red flag in subtly comparing any would-be critics to the Hebrew leaders that criticized Honi (the "circle maker") and possibly later, Jesus. Nice touch. (Oh for a sarcasm font!) The fact that this is a NYT bestseller makes my tummy hurt. Oh church, where is thy discernment?

On my to-read next pile:

On my Kindle: Bread & Wine, Joni & Ken: An Untold Love Story, Any Day a Beautiful Change, Mistolaund, Volume 0: The Rising Threat by Stephen J. Wright (my brother! So proud of him!)

What I'm reading with the kids: Treasure Island, The Princess and the Goblin, and assorted library children's books.

Netflix:
We watched a lot of Phineas & Ferb reruns. Because they're funny. And the songs are hilarious. We even made a Pandora station of them.

Once Upon a Time. Oh my goodness! First of all, I'd like to say something cute here like I'm an old-fashioned girl who takes things slow, but really, that's just my cop-out for being way behind the times! (No spoilers, Dahlings. Pretty, pretty please?!) But, wow! Josh and I are spellbound! (Haha, see what I did there?)

Music:
Whenever I need a good cry, I turn to Within Temptation's song Pale and sing it crazy loud in my rusty-first-soprano voice. Because sometimes guys? Life sucks and I can't cry even when I want to. So I let my soul bleed through symphonic metal, because it captures the essence of the emotions I can't express. Here's a youtube video of the song so you can hear it for free, but I will warn you that if you find gothic fantasy disturbing, you might want tab out while listening. Or just skip it entirely. :)

David Garrett and Lindsey Sterling. Nuff said. They play my spirit on their violins. Time disappears, my legs begin dancing all on their own and bring the rest of my body into rhythm. And all is joy. The kids and I have some wild times, especially with Garrett's version of Smooth Criminal. :)

My husband listens to K-Love. Good for him. I usually turn up my snotty little nose at most "christian" music these days because it just doesn't speak to me. But these two songs have really stood out to me, maybe because of the SVT that plagues my body, it really brings home the ideas of being worn or of barely even being able to breath. I get it in physical as well as emotional way:

Need You Now by Plumb

Worn by Tenth Avenue North

Gaming:  
World of Warcraft (WoW) has new patch with lots of new battle pets and other content. I am way too addicted to the pet battles! Way.

Fire Emblem: Awakening for 3DS. The story is crazy-making; very wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey, you might say.

Lord of the Rings Online ( LOTRO ) Josh and I play with my 3 brothers every Monday and Wednesday night (unless we get tired of it and then we'll play Guild Wars 2.)
I had to miss my brothers growing up, since I live in Chicagoland and they are in Sunset, S.C. It's hard to live so far from the other 6/7ths of my soul fabric, (i.e. my siblings); it's a terrible, hard unraveling. But we can connect through gaming, doing something we all enjoy, and hanging out together over Ventrilo. (I know, I know, gamer-speak is another language.)

Baking:
Gift jar nut bread mix. My mom made this for us for a late Christmas gift. It is absolutely fab and I can pre-mix again and again to make it an easy-to-bake project for the kids.
I love my sourdough and I love my kombucha. You need to try these things before you die. ;)

The Downers Grove Farmers' Market. My absolute favorite thing to do on the weekends! We love getting to know local farmers, buying local in-season produce, and browsing the vendor stalls that sell homemade earrings and other artistic, hand-crafted merchandise by local entrepreneurs.

Crafts:
For now, I'm just doing some light crochet to keep my hands busy while I watch mixed-up fairy tales on Netflix. Dish cloths are an easy win.
What the kids are into:
Making up a paper bird and nest craft.

Creating outdoor picnic tables with cardboard boxes.

Throwing a Lalaloopsy/Lego pool party bash.

Exploring the outdoors in the beautiful spring weather.

What's that? School you say? Oh, we started our homeschool school year in July, so we are done! Wewt! (Said in my best Felicia Day impression.)

Hope you all had a great month of May! Happy summer!

6 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you like One Upon a Time! It's fun. I love the Disney allusions :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you and Grace both highly recommended it to me at different times; I should really learn to listen. =P
    Disney allusions add to the hilarity. And the confusion. I mean, WHAT IS IT? Lol! This show has no category. It's freaky, like The Tenth Kingdom. (Only better.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Once Upon a Time too :-) and cant wait to read Bread & Wine

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only read the first chapter of Bread & Wine and I'm already drooling over the yummy recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bread & Wine is Shauna's best work yet. I hope you love Any Day a Beautiful Change- I devoured Katherine's book. Love that Downer's Grove has a farmers market! Either that started after I moved to TN or I was too focused on Wheaton's farmers market to pay attention to any others.



    Thanks for linking up with What I'm Into!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have so many books, it's hard to choose priorities right now. I find myself drawn more to the ones not on my Kindle because they are more visible. The Kindle is still new to me.
    I had to do some digging to find the Downer's Grove market, but I've been going since, I think, 2008, so it's been around for a while. It's at the train station on Saturday mornings.
    I enjoyed the link-up! Thanks for hosting it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.