Friday, March 8, 2013

The Friday Munchies

I'm on a foodie roll this week.

I can't help it.

Food preparation always helps me de-stress. And this whole week has been "one of those days!"

I just love the creative process of throwing easy recipes together for the blog, so I'm going to subject you to yet another post with photos that make your mouth water. It's kind of a theme this week.

Don't worry. This one involves simple ingredients that most of us have in one form or another. Chances are, with a little tweaking, you could pull this off. Yes, I use highfalutin ingredients sometimes, like coconut sugar, but you can sub with brown sugar if that's what you have on hand.

The Friday Munchies Candied Popcorn

1 batch of air-popped popcorn
1/2 cup salted butter (if you use unsalted, just salt to taste. Maaaaybe 1/8 tsp?)
1 cup coconut sugar (Or brown sugar.)
2 Tbsp raw honey. (It seems silly since I'm going to cook it, but it's all I have right now.)
2 tsp. vanilla

 Assuming you've popped your popcorn, we'll move along to the caramel.

Melt butter in small saucepan on low heat. Pour in the honey and coconut sugar.
Heat and stir until it boils. Boil and stir for one minute.
Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla.

Gently drizzle over popcorn.
Allow it to cool and harden for at least 5 minutes before serving. (Test it first before you give it to the kids to avoid burning mishaps.)
Serve in bowls and prepare for some wild shenanigans in the very near future. For instance, my toddler shimmied out of his clothes and is speeding across the living room in just his diaper now. My guess is he'd be doing this with or without the sugar high. But who can tell?

Yep. I just walked over and checked his bowl and he didn't eat any of his. More for Mommy!

I'm going to need a big glass of lemon water to wash this down.

Cheers!





5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Tracy, I was thinking. This would be an easy project to do with the kids around Christmas. Maybe a pot of hot chocolate on the side. :) We'll have to do that together while we're in town.

      Delete
  2. I have a similar recipe but it adds some baking soda with the vanilla. Then you mix it thoroughly with the popped corn. Then you spread it on a baking sheet and bake it for 1 hour at 250 deg. stirring every 20 min. Then you let it cool slightly, gently break it up and serve it or store it. It makes a crispy delicious treat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonder what the baking soda is for? Also, what does the extra baking do? Keep it from going stale? Just curious. We didn't eat all of this batch in one sitting and after 24 hours it was kind of stale. Still edible, though.

      Delete
  3. I think the baking soda actually helps make it easier to mix it with the popcorn. And it does keep it from going stale. It stays crisp for days!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.