Thursday, March 7, 2013

Rescuing a Recipe Gone Sour

I mentioned that I love, love, love baking.

I promised a sourdough recipe and I tried all day to get my head put on straight and my children to play nicely together for long enough to post. Ha!

Night has fallen now.

I am stubborn.

I will tell you how I make sourdough bread eventually. But first, you must know something. Everything is not always a masterpiece in my kitchen. I can churn out plenty of cooking failures every week along with my triumphs. I just don't necessarily broadcast them. Or take pictures.

So, when I actually make a pretty loaf of bread I can be proud of photographing I will share my bread recipe.

For now, I will share what happens when you refuse to give up on your cooking endeavors.

So here you go:

Sourdough Flop Bread Pudding

You read that right. I made sourdough bread and it was a flop. Happens sometimes when you rely on the air for your yeast action. We keep our thermostat fairly cool in the winter and there just wasn't enough heat to make it rise properly. Also, I may have added too much flour. Happens to all!

Then, I left it out all night.

Crunchy.

I was not willing to sacrifice teeth on the altar of salvage, so I came up with a Plan B.

Ok, credit where credit is due. My dear mother reminded me that I could still make bread pudding, so she came up with Plan B. Yes!

I scrambled for a recipe. I couldn't find one to satisfy, either online or in my cookbooks. The proportions seemed wrong or wasteful or I didn't have all the proper ingredients. So I made up my own recipe. The principle is pretty much the same. Eggs, milk, sweetener, bread. Those are the basics. Add your flavor enhancers and you're golden. Well, it's golden anyway, if you bake it right.

I will now transcribe for you the scribble that is on my scrap of paper in scrawly pencil.

1 loaf sourdough flop bread.
4 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 dashes of nutmeg
1 cup milk
1/2 cup Grade B Maple Syrup

Preheat oven to 350F. Butter an 8x8 glass pan.
Slice and cube the sourdough bread. Add it to the pan.
In a medium bowl, combine eggs, vanilla, spices, milk and maple syrup and beat with a whisk until well mixed.
Pour gently over bread cubes. Press down any cubes that may float up to the top so they can soak up a little more liquid.

Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden brown around the edges. 
Remove from oven and cool.

Serve warm with a nice cup of hot tea.

It makes a great dessert, tea snack or even breakfast.

And it's sooo easy!

Also, you don't have to wait for bread to turn out badly or go stale, but it is a great way to use it up if it happens.

Try it!

2 comments:

  1. Glad you were able to salvage the "flop" bread :)
    I'd love to have a cup of tea with you and enjoy some together!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.