Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Any Day Can Be Pie Day!


We missed Pi day by a long shot! I heard a lot about pie that day. I dreamed about pie that day. I longed to make pie on that day! But for us, it was really just an ordinary day where Mama was waaaaay too exhausted to think about baking more than the necessities.

I have a lot of those days.

I just thought I'd confess that. Quite frankly, I don't wish to misrepresent our home school as all glorious, all learning filled, all joyful, all the time!

We have very imperfect days. Most of the time, I will even add. While the kids are young and the toddler still wakes me up at night, it can be a real challenge.

I am not made of Maria-governess-to-seven material.

I get run down!

But!

It is completely, totally, incontrovertibly worth the sacrifice!

And when I'm not "feelin' it" I can just go ask my mom.

Like the small child who begs for stories:

"Tell me again, Mommy, how much you loved being our schoolteacher; how much you loved having your messy, loud, obnoxious, beautiful children crowding around you every day. Mediating our sibling quibbles. Listening to our hard questions. Begging you to read another chapter. Finding a new recipe to try and then interrupting you with questions about cooking we already knew the answers to... because you were there! You. Were. There!"

And I want to be "there" just like she has been for always.

I want to be that mom when I grow up. ;)

So here's me, tryin'.

And now, back to our pie story:

I will bore you with the details.

Any day can be pie day. Trust me. All you need is a day + pie. Done!

So after resting all day on Sunday, and I mean all day, because I was/am THAT tired, we decided around 6 p.m. that a pie was most definitely in order. I pulled out the sourdough.

We mixed 1 cup sourdough starter, 1 cup yogurt, 2 Tbsp olive oil, 1/2 tsp each baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Then we added 1-2 cups more of organic white flour (the kind with just one ingredient: wheat,) about 1/2 cup at a time until it was a solid but pliable lump of dough.

Divvy in half. Flour a piece of parchment paper. Commence rolling!

This was Kaitlin's first pie crust that she rolled out without help. It was gorgeous!

I prepared the filling: 8 peeled, cored, and sliced apples minus the equivalent of 1 apple (thanks Cameron,) + 1 more peeled, cored and sliced apple; 2/3 c. coconut sugar; 2 Tbsp flour; 2 tsp cinnamon and 1/2 tsp nutmeg. Kevin helped me stir it. Then Kaitlin got a turn. We all sampled the filling before pouring it into the crust.

With a lot of help, Kevin rolled out the top crust. I put it all together and we baked it at 375F for 30 minutes. When I pulled it out, the crust was fluffier than a normal pie crust, but it was crazy good looking! I basted the top with butter and it shimmered in all its golden-brown glory.

Mouth watering!

It was a most successful venture! I mean, just look at the kids' faces!


Pie = joy.

Pie is magic!

And trust me. It doesn't need a holiday or a national day to make it more popular. It just needs a family to share and enjoy it and laugh away the cares of the week. I'm pretty sure that's all pie has ever wanted.

I appreciate the reminder, though.

2 comments:

  1. Go Kaitlin! The first pie crust is always a big accomplishment, and she's learning much earlier than I did. LOL
    Jamie, you almost brought tears to my eyes with that little tribute to mom. I had my share of hard days even questioning why in the world I was homeschooling. But,of course, I knew why and I knew I wanted my children around me and to be there for them. I'd never trade it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mom. Wish we could share some memories, pie and a cup of tea right now! :)

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.