Friday, February 15, 2013

When the Inspiration Fizzles

Some days, the words just flow from my fingers by some seemingly magical, unseen force. There they are, cycling through my brain for a time, reformulating slightly. Maybe sometimes mutating. I don't know. But when they are ready, they almost leap of their own accord onto the screen and my typing skills can barely keep up with the messages spilling over like a loosed dam. There are those days.

And then. Aaaand then.

One morning I awaken and the housed is a jumble of clutter, laundry, dishes, and needy people. Oh, wait. That's every morning. But some mornings the jumble is perfectly reflected in my brain. What do I write about today? I love to write! Where is that beautiful inspiration, that urge that if I don't express myself I will explode? I think they call this writer's block. I might just refer to it as sleep deprivation. We'll see.

One thing I have discovered: writing is a discipline. There won't always be laurels and thrushes and sweet scented pines guiding my thoughts and fingers. Some days it just takes jumping in and making it happen, however unimaginative. (Read: boring. It can always be fixed later.)

Writing is like life; it's a journey. Crystal clear paths that end abruptly in the jungle. But the jungle is not forever; there is always the beauty of emerging from the lost forest onto the asphalt of civilization once again. And oh, I am so glad we don't have to go it alone. Never alone.

So don't let anything stop you. Nothing. I know there are times where you may feel too insignificant. Who wants all the details of your ordinary life? (Why, everyone, of course! Why do you think social media is so popular?) Joking aside, it is true. We all live a different story with a unique perspective. And the world needs to hear it. All of us. Our stories matter. Every one.

So join me on this fun-filled yet dangerous adventure. If you don't have a blog yet, go start one. You might be surprised at how fulfilling it is. Give it a try?

4 comments:

  1. I needed to read this, so this is what happened next: http://guidedfreespirit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you're picking up your blog again! It's a great way to record what's going on in your life and it's something you can look back over. (Instead of just those fuzzy memories after sleepless nights and frantic days and we wonder what we've accomplished.)

      Delete
  2. I love this. If you can't think of anything to write about, write about not being able to think of anything to write about! Genious! And it turned into so much more.

    Btw, I also love the picture. It looks like you are trying to be serious but secretly suppressing the urge to bust out laughing. Or maybe it's just that you always have a laugh in there, a witty line ready, waiting for the right moment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Sara. I didn't know how it was going to turn out. I guess that's what happens when I just write from my heart. It's a recurring theme like a refrain that won't stop singing inside me.

    Kaitlin took the pic and I was probably just enjoying how seriously she was taking her job. Or maybe the pencil smelled funny. I don't remember. Maybe the twinkle is just me being happy. :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.