Friday, February 22, 2013

Something Fun: Cake Recipe

Caaaaake.

I don't know about you guys, but sometimes a week drags on. And sometimes a Friday afternoon drags on and on. And on.

I was tired of the dragging, so I decided to bake something. It's a magnificent cure for what ails you. Especially if it involves chocolate. Which it did.

I didn't have much flour and I was saving it for our weekly homemade pizza. So I needed to do something with almond meal.

But almond meal can be pretty dry inside no matter how short or long you cook it. Luckily, I had an idea.

I sometimes get our seasonal vegetables from our raw milk supplier. And I had this enormous, gorgeous, aging sweet potato all by its lonesome in the cabinet.

Thus, the Grain-Free Sweet Potato Cake with Chocolate Frosting was born. And it is delish! It is fabulously moist. Yes, I said that word. It's ok to use the word when speaking of cake. Then and only then. (Hey! My kitchen; my rules.)


I will share the recipe with you now, which I literally made up as I went along. (Literally. I put something in the bowl and then ran to the table to write it down. Proper word usage. Booyah!)

For the Sweet Potato Cake

1 super-size or 2 large sweet potatoes (yield 2 cups)
1/4 c. coconut oil
1/2 c. maple syrup
1/4 c. coconut sugar (or cane sugar.)
2 large eggs
1/2 c. yogurt
3 cups of almond meal
1/2 t. salt
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. baking powder

Preheat oven to 350F.
Peel and dice a sweet potato and steam it for 15 minutes or until soft.
Pour into mixing bowl. Add coconut oil and beat until smooth. Stir in the maple syrup and coconut sugar. Add eggs and beat for 1 minute
In a separate bowl, combine almond meal, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Add to the wet ingredients alternately with the yogurt. You may need to scrape the bowl and beat a little longer.

Pour into a 13in x 9in greased or parchment lined glass pan. Bake in 350F oven for 25 minutes or until inserted knife comes out clean. Cool and frost.

Not-particularly-original-but-pretty-universal Chocolate Frosting
1/2 c. butter softened
1/4 c. cocoa powder
1 t. vanilla
2 c. powdered sugar
2-3 Tbsp. milk

Cream butter. Add vanilla and cocoa (slowly. ahet ahem!)
Gently mix in sugar. Beat for a minute or two, until smooth, scraping bowl as you go. Thin as desired by adding 1 TBSP at a time of the milk.



When the cake is thoroughly cool, (I mean yeah, it's thoroughly cool but I mean, not hot anymore,) add frosting. Or let your magic kitchen helper do it for you. Because she is eager!
Then eat.
Eat the food!
Always eat the food.
Your languishing soul will thank you. And so will your family when you start bouncing around all happied up on too much chocolate. Wheeeeeeee!!!!!!!

Here's a slice for you:
Love,

Jamie

2 comments:

  1. Looks fabulous! Kaitie is such a cutie! I know she's a great helper. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I will have to try it soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're really enjoying it. I suspect it would taste good with cream cheese frosting as well. Or not frosting at all.

    As an extra note: We store it in the refrigerator. It's good eaten cold with a cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.